Monday, March 27, 2006

WHAT TIME IS IT???

Sunday morning was meant to be the end of Daylight Savings on the eastern side of Australia. But, because of the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, "they" decided to postpone it for a week. Which is a fair enough decision - it would cause no end of confusion for all those visitors.

Unfortunately, no one told the majority of the windows machines in the world.

When I logged in on Sunday morning, I noticed two things. First, the server time had changed by an hour (I did have to double check that I wasn't missing out on an hour of sleep). The second was that the general chat channel was swamped with people crying out "what time is it where you are?" "what time is it in Sydney?"

Since I knew the answer, I decided to be helpful (since no one else was). I ended up getting into a conversation with someone who couldn't quite believe that both Blizzard and his computer would lie to him. So I pointed him towards the Bureau of Meteorology website and told him he could check there if he was still unsure. His reply is still making me laugh:
"Oh man, I have no idea what time I'm meant to go to school tomorrow!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home